For a child to grow up healthily and become a successful adult, they need to develop resilience, self-discipline, and tenacity. While 90% of who we are is dependent on our genetic make-up, the remaining 10% can be strongly influenced by our environment, driving the type of adult we will become, despite our nature. To continually hone resiliency throughout our lives is essential to persevere and flourish during stressful times.
What Is Resilience?
Resilience should be viewed as a process that leads to a positive outcome despite risks or stressors. To function competently and effectively under stress and quickly recover from trauma or adversity. Caregivers, healthcare providers, and parents can influence the course of children’s lives simply by teaching them to build a strong foundation of resilience. The nurturing a child experiences in their formative years profoundly affects gene expression as one develops.
What Are The Predictors of Resilience?
Certain factors nurture resilience and can contribute to a better life. These variables include:
- Easy temperament
- Competent parents
- Healthy social relations
- Educational opportunities
- Problem-solving aptitude
- Internal locus of control
- A sense of self-worth and humor
Not all children are fortunate enough to have these predictors; however, there are strategies that you can use to build resilience in young children despite this
What Can We Learn from Practicing Resilience?
Part of becoming a resilient person is the inward reflection of our actions and personal purpose. When we ask ourselves critical questions about our reactions towards different viewpoints, unexpected events, or stress, we can learn how to navigate our world and take control over our actions during trying times.
Introspective questions we can ask ourselves include:
- How have I responded to setbacks and what can I do differently for a better outcome?
- Have I truly attempted to understand the viewpoints of others?
- How have I related to others? Did I practice empathy and respect?
The answers to these questions can help improve our understanding of ourselves. Being aware of our viewpoints and reactions, we can see if we understand our boundaries and what areas need improvement. By taking the time to self-reflect, we can strengthen our resiliency to endure stressful times without breaking down.
What Are The Strategies to Foster a Resilient Mindset?
There are several ways to cultivate a resilient mindset. These include:
- Teach empathy by practicing empathy
- Teach decision-making skills that foster self-discipline
- Offer continual encouragement and positive feedback
- Guide children to handle their own mistakes
Building resilience in children can strengthen their mindset through social and emotional learning assessment tools. Resilient children are optimistic, set realistic goals and expectations, problem solve and make decisions, and feel appreciated in the eyes of others. Most importantly, resilient children have an internal locus of control, meaning they are aware that the outcomes of their actions are from their abilities.
Image by Esi Grünhagen from Pixabay